An Illustrated Guide To The Viral Comcast Support Call
April 18, 2017
This struggle represents us all as humans.
This week, AOL tech writer Ryan Block posted this audio of his support call with Comcast. It went mega viral, proving that audio can actually go viral.
According to his description, the recording picks up after his wife had already been on the line for 10 minutes.
For visual reference, this is what Block looks like when he’s just hanging out being his regular self:
Justin Carissimo / Via Warner Bros
This is an artist’s rendering of what the Comcast employee looks like:
What follows are actual quotes from the conversation between Brock and the Comcast support guy.
1. Comcast: “Help me understand why you don’t want faster internet?”
Jim Henson Company / Via forums.voiceofthepublic.com
Block: “Help me understand why you won’t just disconnect us.”
Warner Bros. / Via rooneymara.tumblr.com
2. Comcast: “It sounds like you don’t want to go over this information with me.”
Block: “I am declining to state why we are leaving Comcast because I don’t owe you an explanation.”
MTV / Via amen-madonna.tumblr.com
3. Comcast: “I’m just trying to figure out here what it is about Comcast service that you’re not liking?”
Picturehouse / Via mrosew13.tumblr.com
Block: “This phone call is actually an amazing representative example of why I don’t want to stay with Comcast.”
E! / Via fuckyeahmeeko.tumblr.com
4. Comcast: “We can offer a faster service than anyone can provide you. Why don’t you want those services?”
“I am just a customer, calling in, attempting to disconnect service.”
NBC / Via ehicannot.tumblr.com
5. Comcast: “So you don’t want a good service?”
Block: “Are you punking me right now?”
Fox / Via americanidolgifs.tumblr.com
6. Comcast: “No one else can guarantee their speed like we can! Mkay! I can save you almos—no over a hundred dollars a month!”
Paramount / Via reddit.com
Block: “Are you done?”
At this point, Comcast guy starts to just rattle off facts, figures and stats.
7. Comcast: “Service! Service! Service! Service! Service! Service!Service! Service! Service! Service! Service! Service!Service! Service! Service! Service! Service! Service! Service! (Ok we’ll disconnect you…) Service! Service! “*
8. Block: “Confirmation in 3 weeks? Ok, whatever bye.”
HBO / Via deardarkness.tumblr.com
Comcast released a statement apologizing profusely. Block tweeted that he wanted the company to take the call seriously but not fire the representative (whose name has been taken out of the recording.)